2.24.2018

rmack: bookmaker, the backstory

Every Book Starts with a Box

What’s rmack: bookmaker?

rmack: bookmaker is a storytelling meets book-building feature where I share a story online while also creating a handheld zine or book.





What to expect from this first edition?

An experiment. With my contemporary but fantastical illustrated novel Night Flyer.

Why is this experimental? In 2012, I independently published a YA novel (wildflowers), but now I want to test out the quality, formatting, and other design elements of a new print-on-demand (POD) site. The questions are: which design ideas will work? Which will need adjusting? And which template best suits this manuscript and its art?

It’s going to be exciting to find out.

What does this mean for you, the reader?

At first, you’ll do all your reading online. I’ll share Night Flyer’s six parts one at a time, using my blog and Patreon page in a cross-media collaboration. My blog will be home to the manuscript’s chapters with sneak peeks at art. Posts will go up once a week. My Patreon page will be home to weekly public reports on the development of the art, design, and formatting.

Please note: patrons get advanced viewings of Patreon posts and a few patron-only posts. All public posts, whether on my blog or Patreon, will include links to their companion post on the opposite site. In the end, you won’t miss a thing.

After all the online sharing, the next step will be to publish each part of Night Flyer as a zine or book. Or maybe both! I’ll do my tests and show you the results, and if I end up with a good quality piece of work, I’ll sell each part, in a rotation, through the online POD bookseller for limited time. The end goal is to find the best POD site to self-publish Night Flyer as one book.

Episodes of rmack: bookmaker, the backstory

Sat Feb 24 - rmack: bookmaker, what to expect & when
Mon Feb 26 - rmack: bookmaker, inspired by
Thurs March 1 - rmack: bookmaker, introducing Night Flyer

RMACK: BOOKMAKER INAUGURAL POST is MONDAY MARCH 5