4.28.2016

conversations with max & zan

Conversations with Max & Zan

We grew up in the 70s. Came of age in the 80s.
It was rad. So rad, we often talk about how rad it all was.

So you know, we edit, but never censor. Not language or ideas or emotion.

In this edition:
Prince: expression, equality, & censorship

Zan: Prince dies…so sad.

Max: It’s horrible.

prince, 19, robert whitman photography










Max: Only 57, wonder what happened.

Zan: Four days ago he had to land his plane to be treated for the flu. He performed the next night and said he was okay. Then he went home to Minnesota. When they found him, he was unresponsive in an elevator in his house. He couldn’t be revived and died at home. Elevator equals interesting…ascending to the Great Perhaps? Also, it’s raining in Minneapolis today. Purple rain?

Max: And if the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor.

Zan: Oh shit.

Max: You know the song Darling Nikki is what made Tipper Gore start her movement to put warning labels on tapes and CDs.

Zan: I remember. I guess she was a square. Did you buy the Purple Rain album in ‘84?

Max: Of course! Fucking loved it. Still do.

Zan: Me too.

purple rain, released july 1984, amazon
Max: Remember how just looking at the cover, opening the tape, and reading the stuff inside made us feel? The hours we spent listening to it, reading every word of the insides. The way it smelled even. How awesome was it when they had the lyrics?

Zan: I fucking loved having the lyrics. It was like a book. And with the Purple Rain cover, it said so much about what we were about to find in the music. It was badass, sexy, and I loved the feminine elements. Not just the flower border, but how he was embracing his femininity. It blew me away.

Max: Yes! His music wasn’t like anything at the time. Not for us, anyway. Girls in the Midwest. My favorite song is DMSR. So good. On Purple Rain, I’d have to say Computer Blue. Although, The Beautiful Ones is so intense.

Zan: All solid tunes. Hey, speaking of not being like anything we’d seen before… What about Boy George? He’s touring with Culture Club again. He was a judge on Project Runway. I love him. Love how he plays around with that gender-neutrality thing too. The fashion of Prince and Boy George? I was a part time tomboy and needed these artists. I mean, I didn’t know that then, but I felt it. It’s like they were saying, “Forget gender, just be who you are.”

Max: I’m not your woman. I’m not your man. I am something that you’ll never understand.

Zan: Exactly.

Max: Okay, since we’re on the subject. Other greats. The Cure.

Zan: Duh.

Max: Howard Jones.

Zan: Saw him live in ninth grade. Awesome.

Max: Did you go to Simple Minds back then? I swear I remember you telling me about it.

Zan: I wish I’d seen Simple Minds. I found Jim Kerr so fascinating.

Max: And Prince? In three words.

Zan: Inspiring, sexy, smart.

Max: Androgynous, eclectic, unique. But I prefer the definition of unique: unlike anything else.

Zan: Oh that’s good. Favorite outfit? Favorite hair?

Max: I like him shirtless in the bathtub. Never thought I’d say that, but… I love his hair when he was on American Bandstand.

Zan: I like the black crop top and tight pants in the Kiss video.

Max: I’m sticking with shirtless. Because even without all those shiny clothes and ruffles, he’s still so cool.

Zan: Right?

Max: Google his American Bandstand appearance.

prince with dick clark, 1979, prince.org
Zan: Oh shit. The feathered hair is amazing. I’d forgotten about it. How did you remember this?

Max: I loved American Bandstand. Until Solid Gold stole my heart.

Zan: He’s 19 in this performance!

Max: Oh yeah. He was still looking for representation then.

Zan: Your memory is amazing. PS: I LOVED SOLID GOLD. But… was it sexist?

Max: Of course. How about this? Nasty Girl, Prince wrote it, and it was the first time I ever heard a woman sing about sex. Not love or heartache, but straight up sex. Prince was a feminist.

Zan: Right. Sex, equality were spiritual things for him. So, here’s a question: Would you rather be a Solid Gold dancer or the baggage handler on Prince’s tour bus?

Max: Easy. Baggage handler. But I’d get fired for stealing.

Zan: What would you steal? I’d steal a pair of pants. The man had awesome pants. I love pants.

Max: Slacks.

Zan: Right. Slacks.

Max: And I’d steal whatever was sparklyist. Yes, sparklyist is a word.

Zan: Right. Sparklyist slacks.

welcome 2 america tour, 2011, getty images
















Zan: Well, I gotta go.

Max: Me too.

Zan: Have a good night.

Max: Dream purple dreams.