4.08.2016

A few days ago I commented on the starts, middles, and endings of projects, and today I'm realizing those things matter so much to me because I'm just beginning to understand and practice process. Meaning, the process of building a story or piece of art. Truth be told, the art of process challenges me. Mostly because I feel like I don't have time for process. There are too many things to do. And often I'm looking for short cuts to get to the finished piece. Because I see it in my head. I feel its message. I know every detail that wants on a canvas. I hear every word that wishes to be typed. So, shouldn't I be able to will it to life in a split second? That way I can get on to the next idea that 's brewing?

Sure, sure, I know the beauty of process. I know where experimenting and rough drafts can take a person. I have, well, processed. Many times, actually. Including today. What came out of it was a room lined with canvases and files, flung open so all their inspirational contents could be strewn about. Oh, and this...


Just this.

Five pieces, all pleasing me. And placed side by side the reason is clear. I like the color story, which happens to be mirrored from one item to the next. Turns out, I hinted to this color story in the mixed media pieces propped up against the walls. The pieces have remained unfinished because I couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing in each one. But now I've got it. Now I've got the element needed to call the pieces finished and to tie them together. It's not just the element of color, but how it relates to the other colors. And how it makes me feel. And maybe that's all process should be...the act of creating and conveying feeling. Truly, I'd be glad to make time for that.

Wishing you a bright-as-spring creative weekend.