5.16.2018

She Did It Anyway Interview

“The flowers don’t know they’re late bloomers. They’re right in season.” Debra Eve

By the time I was seven or eight, I understood my creativity as a lifeline. I knew it could keep me secure in rough waters or the face of danger, or straight-up save me. But whether I count that time of knowing or not, there’s no doubt that the first steps I took toward becoming a daily writer and artist came late. And the path to success—what I define as success—stretches off into the distance, winding around and through and beyond. Because I am a late bloomer, my journey won’t be or feel the same as it would if I was young. I know this. I also know what I want to accomplish and where I’d like to slow and bloom. Luckily, more and more, I’m finding wonderful, mature woman-maker role models to offer their take on and guidance into creative marketplaces. Still, these women have quote-unquote made it. What I’d like to see is the older, female Creative who is midstride, being pulled in many directions, juggling many responsibilities, and sometimes, carrying more than her share of the weight, and yet, she creates anyway. She is my peer and I’d like to see more stories about her.

You can’t be what you can’t see.” Marian Wright Edelman

Lately, and often, we hear more about inclusion and diversity in all fields of art. I love this movement because including all kinds of people from all walks of life in conversations, art making, and art exhibits elevates humankind’s collective creativity. And it’s not difficult. By simply deciding to make room for everyone, there’s room, and things instantly become rich with perspective and inspiration. The reverse of this—making the creative life unavailable to anyone outside the mainstream, whether intentional or not—perpetuates creative deserts, where people don’t try to become or even dream about becoming Makers. We can’t be what we can’t see, which is why I’m doing my part, however small, to showcase Creatives who don't necessarily fit the mold because of lack of platform, status, or due to age. We don't often get to see these Creatives, but they're out there, doing it anyway.

“Women may be the one group that grows more radical with age.” Gloria Steinem

Welcome to the She Did It Anyway interview series, featuring women I know or meet who are my creative peers. These are women and woman-identifying artists who create and make and hone their craft in spite of busy, hectic lives, changing health, and aging. These Creatives have long passed hobby and seek personalized success. One that fits their lives, elevates their craft, and positively impacts their standard of living. Because we all cycle through this in-between, I hope you will support them. And I hope you enjoy this celebration of all that connects us as creative beings.

She Did It Anyway

Shirley Gerner of Stitches and Scraps
Knitter, Scrapbooker, Journal-Maker

Recently, Shirley joined storm row studio's Etsy boutique as a member, bringing the useful, knitted wares from her Stitches & Scraps workshop to the online marketplace for the first time. Shirley also sells knitted goods at Practical Art Retail and Gallery in Phoenix, Arizona and creates commissioned pieces including journals, greeting cards, and knitware for private clients. She's participated in large one-time knit donation drives like the 2017 Pussyhat Project for the Women's March in Washington D.C. as well as the yearly hat drive for American Heart Association's Little Hats Big Hearts program. She's operated the blog One Woman's Whims since 2013, and though all this may seem like a far cry from her decades-long career as an insurance professional, creative doings have been part of her life since she was a young girl. Also, her primary client was Hallmark (as in Hallmark Cards) so even in the necessary and practical world of insurance, she was still surrounded by art. Catching up with Shirley isn't difficult. She happens to be my mom, and for this interview, she agreed to talk about all things knitting.

Rhonda: What’s your earliest memory of knitting?

Shirley:
When I was about 10 years old I loved watching my Aunt Katherine crochet these beautiful baby blankets, sweaters and doilies. Her and my uncle came to visit us in California one year and she decided it was time for me to learn to crochet. I was already embroidering pillow cases so I thought how much harder can this be.  

Bless her heart, I will never forget us sitting on the couch in the heat of the day and her patiently trying to teach me this art of crocheting. I just couldn’t get the hang of it.

After that I wasn’t too interested in learning any other needlework until I took an elective homemaking class in high school. One of the lessons was learning to knit. My very first attempt was to knit socks, which I did, but not very well. Then I tried making a sweater, again not very well. My third attempt was a baby blanket and I loved it. I was then hooked on knitting.

Over the years life took me away from knitting when I began sewing clothes for my girls. After retiring the second time I found a knitting class at the local community center and decided to brush up on my skills. That was about 13 years ago and I haven’t stopped since.        


Rhonda: What draws you to knitting?

Shirley:
First let me say that I love going into a yarn shop or the yarn section of a craft store. As you walk through the door or down an aisle all these beautiful colors greet you with the possibility of a finished project. There’s this hush that surrounds you as you move from bin to bin. People are softly talking or laughing around me but I’m tuned into what I can do with all this yarn. I usually buy way more than I had intended because there’s always a project waiting to be started.


Knitting is very calming for me. It relaxes me and allows my mind to focus on what I’m working on and not what’s going on around me on a daily basis. I love watching how quickly a few stitches of a pattern produces a useful article right there in your hands. Yes, there are times my projects don’t work out and yes, I’ve had to tear out more than my share of stitches, but that’s how I learn.


Rhonda: What advice would you give a 1st time knitter?


Shirley:
Experiment with different types of yarn and knitting needles. I prefer bamboo needles. I know a lot of people like the aluminum. Once you find your favorite yarn and needles start with a simple pattern. You should be able to knit, purl, cast on and bind off.

From there it just takes practice and patience. Using the basics you can make almost anything. If you don’t understand the pattern or stitch there are YouTube instructions that are very helpful and most yarn shops are more than happy to help new knitters over the hump.   







Rhonda: What suggestions do you have regarding hand health and/or taking care during knitting projects?


Shirley:
It’s very important to take a break at least once every hour or two. Stand up, stretch or go for a short walk. I wish I had followed this advice when I was younger. 
Recently I learned that knitting with cotton can be very hard on your hands, so frequent breaks are important for hand health. It never occurred to me that the type of yarn we use could affect our hands, fingers and joints.  
As I’ve aged I have some aches and pains in my hands when I do a lot of knitting. I’ve found that hand exercises are a must. I found a blog that has great hand exercises for knitters. Here's the link: We Are Knitters.

Rhonda: Have you read any good knitting books? Fiction or nonfiction?
Shirley:
My favorite knitting magazine is Knitting Traditions.
My favorite nonfiction knitting book is Vintage Knits by Hadley Fierlinger.
For fun I like to read Debbie Macomber’s fiction books about a little knit shop on Blossom Street in Seattle Washington that’s called “A Good Yarn”. The owner is a woman, whose dream is to start a new life free from cancer. Four other women are brought together by knitting classes with personalities that are all different and unique. These books are a fast, fun read that most knitters can relate to.



Rhonda: Do you have any “dream” knitting projects?
Shirley:
I have always wanted to make a pair of Norwegian stockings or Lithuanian mittens using the bright and traditional colors of wool yarn found in many foreign countries. Fancy patterned knitting has always intrigued me. 

Rhonda: What one thing do you want people to know about your work?
Shirley:
I try to make my products fun and usable with material that is natural and eco-friendly. I love to knit and I hope that feeling comes through with each item I make. 





Rhonda: What are your future goals for Stitches & Scraps workshop?
Shirley:
My immediate plans for Stitches & Scraps workshop is to continue to work on my current products for Practical Art and Etsy, adding a few new ones as I go along. I also will continue donating preemie and baby hats for newborns through the American Heart Association.  
What I would love to do is rent a large space. In one section I would set up a knitting corner with a selection of yarn and knit related supplies. There would be a round work table and chairs for knitters of all ages to gather, chat with one another, perhaps have some tea and work on their projects. 
In another section I would have scrapbooking supplies with a very large work table and chairs for scrapbook lovers to work on their projects. Classes could be held once or twice a month for anyone wanting to attend.  
And what would be ideal is to have a work space for artisans of all types. Just think of all the interesting people you would meet and how many different types of art you would see.  

But being the realist that I am, I know that financially I would not be able to pull that dream off.




Rhonda: Never say never. Shirley, can you provide links to your various sites for readers who'd like to see more of what you do?

Shirley: Love to...