10.26.2016

hillary: i see you


Have you ever been on the receiving end of aggressive name-calling by the opposite sex?

I have, many times, and it always hurts.

On occasion, it's also bolstered my spirited or helped me dig in my heels so my voice would be heard. In other moments, my male counterpart didn't have to call me a name to hurt me. He just had to assume a loud or condescending tone of voice, cut me off mid-sentence, or argue with me about something minor, trivial, inconsequential. For me, the voice, the words, the conversational style are everything when I consider whether a man respects me or not. Even standing taller, stepping closer, imposing on my personal space doesn't rattle me like verbal confrontations with a pushy, rude, arrogant, or scary guy. The thing is, words matter.

It's been several days since the third debate and Trump's "Nasty Woman" slur continues to make news. On one hand, it's become a badge of honor and has inspired many good jokes. On the other, women everywhere are pausing and remembering a time when they were the target of harmful comments or labels. In the end, there are a few things girls and women can do to maintain personal power.

1. Vote. Preferably for Hillary.

2. Be informed. If you need more information about Hillary and the idea of female power, Michael Moore's film Trumpland is a good place to start.

3. Be you. And that means....

Being as persistent and serious as you want to make your point.

Being as big and loud as you want with your laughter and joy.

Being as passionate and intense and emotional as you want when standing up for what you believe.

Ladies, gals, women of all political stripes, this is our time. Don't tune out or give in to apathy or frustration. Go learn what Hillary has done and will do for women and the people women care about and care for. Go learn why we need a Nasty Woman for President.

*photo credits, Harper's Bizarre, CNN still photography, NBC News still photograpy